Thursday 11 November 2010

9 November 2010

Sitting on the train this morning, I went past some building developments. The signs outside showed that the work was financed by this or that City firm. And it crossed my mind, in a word-smith sort of way, that the City chewed me up and spat me out. Of Course that’s not true. Yes I had trouble working in the early days post-MS, but that was all part of the process of understanding and adapting to it.
The only job that I ‘lost’, in terms of a contract ending prematurely was the last one before my lengthy period of unemployment. And to be honest, when I was struggling to stay awake and to concentrate, I’d have got rid of me. I was at a point where I really didn’t know what to do. I didn’t want anyone related to work to know, for fear of getting no more work. On reflection, I may have made things harder for myself than they needed to be, but I will never know.
In reality, I loved the 25 years I worked in the City. Sure it had its ups and downs, but far more ups than downs. And I made some wonderful friends, worked with so many great people. I learned all that I know about people management and matured as a person. (Yes, I was more immature once. Hard to believe, I know.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home