Friday 4 March 2011

3 March 2011

I was silly this morning. I knew from the moment I got out of bed that I was feeling more wobbly than usual, but still I soldiered on. I went into the bathroom, knowing that I was short on time if I was to make in to the dentist on time. So I kind of rushed it – obviously not in the way that a normal person would rush, but without the normal measured care. Big mistake.

My bathroom is bigger than a regular bathroom. It is a wet room, and houses my swanky plastic wheelchair (you haven't lived until you've had a shower sitting in a plastic wheelchair, trust me on that). Unfortunately, in trying to negotiate my way around said wheelchair, turning too quickly, I lost my balance. No biggie, there are plenty of things to hold onto. Well yes and no. I tried to use the wheelchair to steady me but, bless its plastic wheels, it can only get so much grip on the floor.

The result was that I ended up heading rapidly for the floor, with my cane and a catheter in one hand, and landed face down. It wouldn't have been so bad except, being tall, I rapidly ran out of space and hit my head on the tiles an the shower wall. Luckily for me. Newton's law of “irresistible force meets immovable object” takes no account of my having a hard skull. As a result, I was left lying on the floor, face down, between the wheelchair and the toilet bowl.

I was actually, perversely, quite happy to lay there. Given the choice, I would probably have had a nap and waited until I felt more like moving. But I knew that I needed to get to the dentist. So I girded my loins (whatever that might mean) and eventually hauled my bulk into something approximating to an upright position, and plonked myself, gratefully, onto the wheelchair.

I made it to the dentist, albeit ten minutes late. And discovered I need root canal work on one of my teeth. Oh joy. My cup truly runneth over.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home