Thursday 27 November 2008

7 March 2007

Yesterday was an interesting day, for two reasons. One was that I had a lumbar puncture, intended to confirm the MS diagnosis (or not, I suppose). The other was that unbeknownst to me (well, it’s possible I knew and forgot, I guess – I’m becoming a little uncertain about my memory at the moment, which in and of itself is a little distressing) I was also slated for an EEG. Well, a kind of EEG, designed specifically to check out operation of the optic nerve.

So it started out as a minor comedy of errors. I pitched up at the neurophysiology department at Kings as instructed, just before 8.30am. Somebody came into reception and asked me what I was there for. Because I thought it was just a lumbar puncture, he sent me down to RD Lawrence ward. Having spent almost an hour in the ward, blood pressure checked, I was then wheeled (yep, chair pushed by a vary pleasant chirpy porter) back up to the neurophysiology department. Where I was told that I’m late, but it’s not a problem. Ah well, the best laid plans of mice and men…

Anyway, I had my eyes thoroughly checked by two very nice people, one in training, who stuck electrodes on my head and had me look at a computer monitor with a moving checkboard pattern and a red dot in the middle. They also did a test with electrodes hooked over my lower eyelids which was, I will confess, a little uncomfortable, but not dreadfully unpleasant. They were kind and reassuring and professional and chatted away to one another. The time flew by and the tests were not too tricky.

I was offered a porter to take me back down to the ward, but I figured I could manage to walk it. I sat next to the bed reading my newspaper, doing the Sudoku (x 4) and being reassured that the doctor had been called and would be here soon to do the lumbar puncture.

It was while sitting there that I became aware of the smell of freshly baked bread, that delicious yeasty smell. This seemed odd as it overrode the vague smell of ‘hospital’. What is that smell? Difficult to describe. It’s not disinfectant (though perhaps it is) or bleach. I suppose it’s just the dressings and sick people and this and that – just ‘hospital’.

Now they were walking around dishing out lunch to some patients, so at the time I figured it was that. And I noted that I was quite close to the staff restaurant too. But do they bake fresh bread? No idea. And I wouldn’t have especially thought about it until this morning. Walking to the station, I noticed the same smell of freshly baked bread. Now, I know, I know. I could have been walking past someone’s house where they were baking bread. It just made me think, because I read somewhere that things going on in your brain can trigger smell sensations that aren’t there, and having noticed it twice, I thought I’d better make a note, just in case it starts happening regularly. It’s probably nothing.

Anyway, back to yesterday. The lumbar puncture was done by the most gorgeous doctor named Michelle. Raven hair in curls, rather like Katie Melua, a professional but kindly attitude. She told me that the local anaesthetic wouldn’t totally kill the pain, but that it would feel no worse than a blood test. Well, as someone who gave blood before they started giving a local for that and had fillings before dentists could use local anaesthetic, it didn’t bother me too much. In the event, I felt a little gentle prick (which might have been the local, or might have been the LP) and nothing else. I’d expected to feel the long needle working its way in, or something. But nothing at all. So, Michelle is a damned fine doctor. Or at least, for what she did for me, she was excellent.

I noticed that her bra strap was twisted. I often notice this on women, and if I know them well enough, I’ll tell them, or if I know them really well, I’ll straighten it. I didn’t tell Michelle, as she might have been a bit freaked out by it.

She told me to stay laying down for at least an hour and preferably two. So I did. After two hours on the dot, my parents came to pick me up. We trekked home through busy late afternoon traffic. I felt a bit of a headache coming on in the car (a common after-effect of a LP) but it was ok. I got home, laid down for a bit, then had something to eat, and laid down some more, watching a movie.

By late evening, having napped for a while, I decided to get up and place an order for the weekend with Ocado (who very kindly had offered me a chunky discount to tempt me back after I hadn’t used them for a while). I’d been sitting there for about 15 minutes and my head started splitting. I tried the usual useless things. Holding it seemed for a fleeting moment to be a good idea, but then didn’t make any difference. So I abandoned all thoughts of Ocado and laid down. Instant relief. Wisely, I stayed laying down.

Later on, after taking some paracetamol and some aspirin and some ibuprofen, I managed to finish my order, but not without significant difficulty. I will have to go and look at it again to see if it makes any sense at all. I got the impression that perhaps I was clicking on random things towards the end.

About 10.30 I went to bed. I found lying down solved all the pain problems. I was able to sleep quite easily although the headache was still a little bit in the background. I woke once, at about 3.30am, but got back to sleep again easily after taking some Benylin to ease this wretched slight cough/cold thing I seem to have picked up from someone.

I woke up feeling ok. I was tired, well my limbs felt tired, but otherwise seemed ok. I took ibuprofen, figuring that I wasn’t going to chance it that it might start hurting once I was upright for a while. Now, by about 10.30, I feel not too bad. My head isn’t totally settled – I notice it is sensitive if I cough - but it’s not pounding either. I’m going to take more ibuprofen, because I figure it’s easier to prevent it hurting than to try to get rid of the pain once it starts.

So there we are. Another step gone through, and another couple of new experiences. And I think my head is starting to ache, so I’m going to take some painkillers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home