Tuesday 16 October 2007

4 September 2006

Today is a good day. Despite having less sleep than usual (I was aware of looking at the clock at 2am and woke spontaneously at 6.30) I felt pretty good this morning. I was aware of my legs feeling less bad than usual (everything is relative) when I arrived at New Beckenham, which was quite a surprise. It was especially surprising given the amount of walking I did yesterday to and at the Emirates Stadium, up and down stairs and the like, standing in the interminable queue to get into the tube etc. I’d felt really tired most of the day, but by the end of it I was tired, but fine.

I still have the numbness in my fingertips, but this is now a curiosity more than an impediment. I’m aware of it most of the time, obviously touch is a pretty key sense when you’re pounding the keyboard either at home or work. It’s not got any better or worse, I have no idea what it’s caused by, though I mentioned it to Dr Cheung and he didn’t comment – which I’d have expected he might if a) it was something gruesomely serious or b) it was relevant to the core issue. I’m presuming it’s connected to the rest of the thing, but I guess time will tell.

It’s quite nice to have a minor positive feeling. I don’t expect it to last – not that I’m being pessimistic, more that I think this is a condition that will take some diagnosing and treatment to resolve, and this is a minor improvement. Almost imperceptible in truth, but something that I felt worthy of note, since I’m keeping this record. If it stays like this, I’ll be very happy, if there is any further improvement, perhaps it might indicate that this is fixing itself, though it’s way too early to speculate on that, and I don’t really believe it either.

Still no sign of my EMG appointment, but Liz phoned me yesterday and offered to try to chase it up today, which was kind. She’s tended to be quite good at sorting those sorts of things out in the past, and I know it’s worrying the kids. I’ve tried not to let them know too much at least in a negative way, but I know it’s not possible to stop them worrying, and it’d be wrong to try to hide what ails me from them.

My weight was a little down this morning, 14 st 13. I ate quite well over the weekend, but also walked a lot yesterday. I’m not concerned at the moment, as it’s only a little, but I’ll keep an eye on it. One thing that occurred to me is that I might (despite stuff I’ve written recently) be losing a bit of muscle mass as I’ve not been exercising for a bit, and my weight might be dropping to it’s natural level for my overall body makeup now that I’ve shed all the excess fat over recent years (muscle being denser than fat and therefore an important factor in understanding body mass changes).

Hopefully when I get back to the gym I can actually keep it up a bit at least, and that’ll help me generally, including helping me feel good about myself. I’ve always loved the post-exercise glow, and I’d be sad not to feel that again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home