Saturday 27 June 2009

27 June 2009

I'm an addict. It's sort of true at least. I'm addicted to 'House'.

I watched it avidly when it was on TV, and now I'm re-watching it. I was trying to figure out why and came to this conclusion: I identify with House.

I like his attitude to the world. I love the way he refers to himself as a 'cripple' - a term I love to use about myself that seems to alarm everyone that hears it. What is it about a simple, descriptive, word that causes people to recoil in horror? According to the OED: cripple n. archaic or offensive, a person who is unable to walk or move properly through disability or injury. What could be more perfect? It describes my state, in a clear and unequivocal way.

Why should is be any different from gay people reclaiming terms that have been deemed offensive, so that they are perfectly acceptable when used by the 'in-crowd' though they remain offensive when used by others? It strikes me as entirely reasonable, and I intend to continue.

I am a cripple, not entirely happy with crippledom, but content.

By the way, I also like the way House gets into arguments with sick people by playing a kind of disability Top Trumps, where he continually outbids them. I don't feel the need to do this, but I admire him for it. Yes, I am a happy cripple, and I don't care who knows it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home